Thursday, 27 January 2011

Jacksonville Travel Guide

jacksonville travel guide"jacksonville travel guide"

Gratitude

Healthy foods are nourishment to the body as gratitude is to the soul.The more aware we are of the life-giving force and principle of gratitude, the more enriched our can lives become.



This past weekend, I chose to view a “negative” experience in the most positive light and I have been tremendously blessed for it. My preference of transportation when traveling out of town is the air plane. But on this particular occasion, because of the short distance, three hours, I chose the “bus”.



All was well traveling to the quaint town of Valdosta, Georgia. After all, my plans for the New Year week-end were fit for a queen – good company and good eats. As I prepared to depart back to Jacksonville, Florida on Sunday, I noticed the return date on my ticket to Jacksonville was incorrect. How could this be? Upon arriving at the bus station, I explained to the clerk the error but she had no sympathy for me. “You will have to pay a $15.00 dollar service fee in order to board the departing bus today, instead of Monday… “What a rip off”, I thought! But I did not argue. I chose to be grateful that I had the additional $15.00 dollars needed to make the transaction.



I boarded the bus and off we traveled to the one short layover in Lake City, Florida – so I thought. Midway, I happened to glance at my “rescheduled” ticket and again noticed with horror that there was a four hour layover. Mind you, now, the total trip time is only two hours and fifty-five minutes. That meant my return trip had turned into a seven hour long nightmare. The story only gets better. One hour after departing Valdosta, we arrived in Lake City and to my even greater horror, I discovered that not only would my transfer bus not arrive until 9:00 p.m., the bus station closed at 5:00 p.m. and it was as cold as the devil is wicked. Two other women who did not speak English found themselves in a similar predicament – only their bus never showed. What were the three of us to do in that small town, after dark and in the cold? The bus station closed and there we sat trembling and miserable.



Six O’clock rolled around and I couldn’t take it anymore. So, I announced, “I will call a cab to take us some place warm and instruct the driver to deliver me back in time for my 9:00 p.m. departure. I obtained the cab company’s phone number and to my utter dismay, once again, there was no answer. In fact, the cab company turned out to be a one man operation with a cell phone number. I guess the “only cab driver” in town had hung up his keys for the evening. I turned to my non-English speaking friends and shrugged my shoulders with a look of disappointment on my face for which I knew they could easily interpret. It was getting colder and I was feeling desperate. So, I determined to take a walk and try to find some place warm for us to take shelter. I walked for about ten minutes and saw in the distance colorful lights. With hope in my heart, I ran back to my friends and summoned them to join me. What a sight for sore eyes - Three women walking in the cold and dark, dragging luggage and bags. We walked at least a mile while our feet and hands were stiff, cold and burning with pain. But, at last, we struck gold! A laundry never looked so appealing.



Inside it was like heaven as we sat on some old and dirty benches. We got a few strange glances but after I announced our circumstance, everyone relaxed and offered words of encouragement. A few minutes later an odd-looking man entered the door and took a seat in the far right corner. He appeared more distressed, cold and tired than we were. He meekly made his way to our bench and handed me a note. It read. “Can you please help me with some loose change. I am deaf and homeless at this time.” I hesitated - still brooding over my own perceived misfortune, then reached into my purse and gave the man $5.00. His face lit up like a Christmas tree. Before I could really process the scenario, a lady struggling to start a washing machine beckoned my help. “Ma’am, can you please help me? This machine won’t start and it’s not giving me my money back.” I walked over to the machine, pressed this and that and finally discovered the door had not been securely shut. Mission was accomplished, though. The lady implied she had no more loose change to loose and she thanked me. My two foreign friends were still very uncomfortable. How were they going to get home? Well, the older woman (mother) finally contacted her husband and arrangements were made for their pick-up. As for me, 8:20 p.m. rolled around and I began my journey back to the bus station.



It was colder, darker and this time scary. I sang a few tunes to distract my senses and then for a few moments began to wonder why had I experienced this uncomfortable occurrence among “others” this past weekend. I decided to find the good in it all. I was able to travel to a town I had not visited before, most of my expenses were covered, got a lot of work done and I enjoyed great company! As I pondered more, I realized I was most grateful for the experience of being a guide and comfort to two strange women who might have otherwise experienced physical harm from the cold and dark and I also helped them unite with their dad and husband. I was able to bring some joy to a man who appeared to desperately need something to eat and I assisted a lady who was down to her last loose change for a washer. These experiences don’t deserve fireworks or any kind of recognition. But they served to enrich my soul knowing that it was through my own discomfort and inconvenience, I was able to serve others and I am truly grateful.


About the Author

Lady Diane
http:///www.universallawsbydiane.com
Don’t Just Dream, Manifest
http://www.universallawsbydiane.com




Jacksonville travel guide









jacksonville travel guide
jacksonville travel guide
jacksonville travel guide

No comments:

Post a Comment