Sunday, 9 May 2010

Travel Guide Sites

travel guide sites"travel guide sites"
What is a great all-around travel guide to Venice?

I am looking for something comprehensive yet easy to follow. I consider myself a fairly serious tourist given my interests in art and art history. I like getting into the heart of a city and seeing everyday life. But I also like to hit the top tourist sites (musems, palaces, etc). Rough Guides are great for their depth, but they're no good at prioritizing which sites to visit. The ubiquitious Top 10 or Top 25 guides are largely lists of the most common and well visited sites. I am looking for something in between or maybe two books which complement each other. Also, I am planning a day trip to Verona, so information on other cities within the Veneto is a bonus. I think I've looked at most of the books on the market and I'm having trouble selecting one.


I go to Europe pretty much every summer and have found the Lonely Planet guides the most reliable each time. Whenever I've purchased others, I invariably find myself wishing I'd just gone and bought the Lonely Planet guide instead.

The good thing about Venice is that (a) it will live up to your expectations and (b) it's not very big so if you have a good chunk of time to spend there, you can see most of it in a short amount of time. Unlike Paris, London, New York, not a lot of time is taken up getting from place to place. Like Rome, it's pretty much all there.

Whatever you do, do NOT miss the Ducal's Palace. It's gobstoppingly gorgeous...but make sure you use the bathroom before you start (and/or do not have coffee at breakfast!). It takes a while to go through and it's all one-way traffic and you can only go before or after, not during. The line can be long so I would strongly suggest you book your reservation online before you go.

http://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Planet-Venice-Damien-Simonis/dp/174059813X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-4365020-9369567?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185212319&sr=1-1


Travel Guide - Tampa Bay, US









travel guide sites
travel guide sites
travel guide sites

No comments:

Post a Comment