What books to read before studying abroad in Dublin, Ireland?
I will be studying abroad in Dublin, Ireland next spring. What books would you recommend that I read before going there? I'm looking for some good summer reading. I'm not trying to read Ulysses, but I might read Dubliners by James Joyce. I'm looking for some good historical and contemporary reading choices (about the Republic of Ireland as well as Northern Ireland). I'm also interested in any good travel guides/books about the area (and perhaps anything that would help me plan weekend trips to continental Europe). Thanks!
Wow, that works well. I literally just made a list of books to read about Ireland. I haven't read these yet, so take these recommendations with a grain of salt!
The Sister Fidelma Mysteries by Peter Tremayne, starts with Absolution by Murder - murder mysteries with an Irish nun in the 7th Century.
Venetia Kelley's Traveling Show by Frank Delaney - 1930's Ireland and, yes, a traveling show.
Ireland: A Novel by Frank Delaney - epic and broad-sweeping fictionalized version of Irish history. Looks like a bit of a heavy read, but apparently it's also very good.
The Dublin Saga by Edward Rutherford, starts with The Princes of Ireland - another big broad read from ancient Ireland and beyond.
At the Edge of Ireland: Seasons on the Beara Peninsula by David Yeado - The Beara Peninsula sounds like a real lost world. It would probably make you want to visit while you are in Ireland!
McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery in Ireland by Pete McCarthy - humourous round-Ireland travelogeu.
Irishman in Derry, Northern Ireland Talking about Peace Bridge, Halloween & the Crooked Tale
northern ireland travel guide
northern ireland travel guide
northern ireland travel guide
No comments:
Post a Comment