When purchasing an item at a store in Italy, what common phrases should I use with the cashier?
The only thing my Italian guide book says about speaking to store clerks at stores is "Lo prendo" and "Vorrei ... per favore" but I'd imagine it would sound pretty rude if someone just said that and that alone. So say I wanted to buy a bottle of water at a store, I bring it up to the cashier to pay and I want to say something like "Hi, just this please" ... google translates it as "Ciao, solo questo per favore" ... and when they give the change back I'd say grazie.
Is that ok or does that not make sense? I know that sometimes google translate isn't always right so any suggestions appreciated. I had to make last minute travel plans to Italy (long story) so I'm sort of rushing to pick up the basics to survive the journey between FCO and where I need to get to.
Ciao,
It would be more polite if you said: Salve, solo questo, per favore.
Usually the store clerk tell you "Grazie", because you pay ;)
When they give the change back you can say Grazie, arrivederci!
When you get into a store, you should greet (buongiorno or buonasera)
Instead of "lo prendo" i'd say "Posso prendere...(may I take...)
Vorrei...per favore OK
Quanto costa, per favore (please, how much is it)
At the clothes shop
Posso provare questi? ---> Could I try these on? (shoes, pants)
Avete un camerino? ---> Do you have a fitting room?
Dov'è il camerino? ---> Where's the fitting room?
Avete questo capo di una misura più piccola/grande? ---> Have you got this in a smaller/larger size?
Avete solo questo colore? ---> Is this the only colour you've got?
Sono lavabili questi? ----> Are these washable?
Prendo questo/i ---> I'll take this/these
At the supermarket
could you tell me where the ... is? (milk, bread counter) --->mi potrebbe dire dov'è ...? (il latte, il banco del pane)
could I have a carrier bag, please? ---->posso avere un sacchetto, per favore?
I'd like... vorrei (per favore)
that piece of cheese --->quel pezzo di formaggio
a slice of pizza --->una fetta di pizza
six slices of ham --->sei fette di prosciutto
some olives --->delle olive
ciao!
Italy Vacations: Unlock the Mystery! Whaiwhai Tour Books by Select Italy
italy travel guide book
italy travel guide book
italy travel guide book
No comments:
Post a Comment