Monday, 10 May 2010

Europe Train Travel Guide

europe train travel guide"europe train travel guide"
First time in the USA. How do I ride the Amtrak train?

I need a detailed guide.

Should I check my baggage, or can I take it with myself? It's quite big.
If I check it, how do I claim it back? Can I do that at every station?
I don't even know how to get on the train. I know this sounds stupid, but based on what I read so far, travelling on train is quite different, than in Europe.


Amtrak is pretty easy once you get your first trip under your belt.

You get 2 pieces of luggage. You can check your baggage at some stops on some trains. Or you can carry it on at any station. There are generally places at the end of newer cars for anything you can't lift onto the overhead racks (which are bigger than those on airplanes). To figure out which stations/trains handle checked baggage, look up the actual schedule and look for the suitcase icon. If in doubt, use the toll-free number. (1-800-USA-RAIL) http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/Page/Schedules_Index_Page&c=Page&cid=1080072922206&ssid=3

You check your luggage and get it back at the ticket counter in your station, or by the side of the train if it's a small stop.

Once you have your ticket, you go to the station. Some stations are huge and busy (like New York and Chicago), some are almost bus stops (Lewistown, PA). In a busy station, look for the TVs or the "Click Click" boards that show the next scheduled trains. Find yours. There will be an announcement when your train is ready to board. Ask the people in front of you if that is the correct line for your train. Someone will check your ticket to make sure you are in the correct line. You get on the train, find an open seat (they aren't assigned, open seats don't have paper seat tags above them). Once the train starts, the Conductor will come by to collect your ticket.

Check the links for more advice for new travelers. If you have more questions, ask in the category Cars and Transportation/Rail. Many Amtrak regulars hang out there.


Traveling By Train in Europe : How to Book Train Travel From Stockholm to Gothenburg









europe train travel guide
europe train travel guide
europe train travel guide

No comments:

Post a Comment