Thursday, 5 May 2011

Britain Travel Guide

britain travel guide"britain travel guide"
What are some good newer books about England and English topics?

As a check of my profile will tell you, I have read a number of British classics. I am an anglophile. However, I also would like to round out my knowledge of modern England and Britain. I have borrowed audiobook versions of "Notes from small Island" and "Bridget Jones' Diary". I also have some up to date travel guides, read recent English craft books and watch a certain amount of British programming on PBS, and have surfed British websites. My "My Yahoo" home page is set to get news feeds from the BBC, and Reuters London. I enjoyed Miss Feildings novel and I find NFASI to be amusing and am looking for more recreational reading/listening/general consumption from a more contemporary England (of today) than I have visited previously, (Previously meaning the 16th-19th centuries.) What recommendations have you? And please don't say Harry potter as I have read them all multiple times.


There are 4 books in the series: The Light Years, Marking Time, Confusion & Casting Off. The books center on a large, rambling, wealthy English family during the WW II years, the Cazalets. The parents, three sons and their families, and one unmarried daughter. Each character is detailed and the books are written from the viewpoints of every family member....the era is written very realistically, from food shortages to the Blitz. They are my favorite series of books, as I am a tremendous anglophile and WW Ii buff. I hope you try them out and enjoy them.


Travel Guide to Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, UK









britain travel guide
britain travel guide
britain travel guide

No comments:

Post a Comment